It seems that summer has finally arrived in Edmonton. Until now, we've had the occasional warm day, but it's generally been followed by three or four days of crap weather...rain, thunderstorms, hail etc. Today is supposed to be the start of a whole week (at least) of warm-hot weather.
It's 28 degrees right now. In Ontario that would equate to about 36 with the humidity. Not here. Here's it's about 24 because there's a breeze blowing. The wind we curse in the winter comes in handy in the summer. Plus, it's dry here, so it doesn't feel so hot. The really cool thing about warm weather in Edmonton? When you move into the shade, it's actually cooler, not just less sunny. It's generally about 5 degrees cooler in the shade. Nice.
In other news, I've had to kick two people out of my parking spot in the last 2 days. The next one is getting towed away. Should have done it the first time, but it was already late when I got home and I wanted to go to bed rather than wait up to sign the papers for bylaw officer. But next time...........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....
I've seen three or four people being arrested lately. Just while I'm walking around downtown on the weekends. Two cops, 1 perp, always in cuffs...don't know what's going on, but as a friend of mine says, I live in a 'sketchy' part of town, so I shouldn't expect anything else. I live near downtown for those of you who are wondering. Mostly it's great, quiet and fairly safe, with the exception of the winter of the burn (see earlier post) and these 'gents and ladies (I think of the night...if you know what I mean...) getting arrested.
I bought myself a bodhran a couple weeks ago...for the GBS fans, it's the hand-held drum the Sean plays. It's cool. I'm not very good yet, I'm trying to find an instructor, but no luck yet. There are a couple good youtube lessons though, and they've helped.
July 1st is fast approaching. Lots of things are going on downtown, including fireworks, so I have to decide what I'm going to do for the day. It doesn't get dark here til after 11 pm in summer, so it's going to be late if I stay up for the fireworks. Unlike New Year's I can't see these from my condo window.
I am boxing three times a week now, and am considering doing some dragon boating as well. Will make for a busy week if I do. Monday night, I went to boxing (which is outside 2x a week) and got eaten alive by mosquitos. Suffice it to say...they're in places you can't scratch in public. Saturday is my only non work out day, and I spend most of it shopping...which is kind of a work out...right?
I've just started re-reading the Harry Potter series. I think this will be an uneven 13 for me. I can't believe it's been a whole year since I read them. How on earth did I let that happen??
One last thing....if you haven't picked up Great Big Sea's new CD 'Fortune's Favour'...do so...and have a dance...or three.....................and perhaps pick up a bodhran too!!
Happy Canada Day!!! Get out and shake your maple leaf!!
ww
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm almost ready to start reading HP to the boys ... not sure if Aaron's quite ready for it yet though. And I'm taking them for their first GBS concert on Saturday - they're excited!!
Whoo hoo...now there's a good reason to book a return to Hogwarts!!! Harry Potter and GBS...lucky boys!
Post a Comment