Sunday, January 4, 2009

F**king Cold

I believe that is the technical term for the cold the west has been suffering the last several weeks. Especially the last few days.

On New Year's Eve I walked home in -35 weather. On Friday, when I walked into work, it was -41 with the windchill, -30 without. It was -36 with the windchill when I left work, but I got a ride most of the way that night :)

Yesterday I went out to take some pictures of the cold. It was -32 (no wind) when I went out. After 20 minutes, wearing long johns, jeans and wind pants, I couldn't feel my legs. My toes were starting to hurt. I hopped on a bus and suffered the thawing pains in my toes. I think I hate the calm days more than the windy ones. 

Most nights it's gone close to or below -30 overnight. And it's only the beginning of January. Wait til the end of January/mid February. That's when it really gets cold. Around the -45 to -50 range last year for those weeks. 

It's so cold they've got some new construction covered in 'blankets' with heaters running inside so that the concrete doesn't crack. The roads are coated in three to four inches of ice. The buses are packed and most of the streets are empty. The pedways are busy.

I've seen this guy walking around in nothing but dress pants and a long sleeved t-shirt and a toque. No mittens, no boots, no coat, no scarf, nothing. He is also always babbling incoherently, so perhaps he doesn't know what he's doing or wearing.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Sending some warmness your way...I don't think I'd be able to handle that temperature, not at all!

westernweezy said...

You know, after a while, it's hard to remember what warm feels like......