Sunday, January 4, 2009

Why a rapid weather change is a bad thing

Yesterday and for the last two or three weeks, it's been f**king cold. Today it is not so cold. It was -12 when I was out this afternoon. A veritable heatwave. A heatwave in Edmonton speak anyway.

Sounds like it would be a good thing, right? To get the temperatures out of the -30s and into something more bearable. Weather that doesn't require you to wear three layers of outer clothing just to maintain feeling in your limbs.....

Well, there's a bad thing with it too. When things warm suddenly...it can cause problems. Like the burst pipe under the first floor of my building. Thankfully, it doesn't affect me at all (guess the flood gods decided I'd been through enough)...but, I saw the spoils when I went out for a walk. One side of the parking garage under the building is covered in several inches of ice now, there was a huge flood of water. 

I talked to one of my upstairs neighbours who was out walking her dog and she said the same thing happened last year. Last year the cold snap lasted about 6 weeks and warmed up quickly afterward and the pipes burst. Yeah! Oh Yeah. Oh no!!

Like I wrote above, at least this time I'm not affected........

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Ooopsie, guess I shouldn't have sent those warm wishes! So glad you weren't impacted - whew!! I wouldn't want that to be my fault (again?).